Laughing in the Rain

I’ll admit that I’m not at my best in the morning. And even less so on cold, rainy weekends at 8am.

However, my interest has been pricked by the concept of a club dedicated to laughter – seriously! So I’ve risen early to test whether increasing laughter in my life can help me greet the day in a sunnier way.

I’m the first one at the playground, home to one of Bendigo’s laughter clubs.

The air is cool, damp and refreshing. Mist rises off the grass and the squawks of the galahs chorus overhead. Other early risers trundle into the milk bar across the road. Down the hill at the oval they’re setting up for the footy matches of the day.
Soon there are four of us, the numbers low because of the inclement weather but I’m informed that in summer the group can grow to forty and a wonderful energy is created.

Rugged up with bright beanies, raincoats and gloves the group is a humorous sight to begin with. We start with a warm up and the laughter begins…The Cardigan, The Lawnmower, The Shy Girl and The Elephant are some of the actions we practice interspersed with a hearty chorus of ho ho ha ha ha, deep breathing and yogic stretches. Everyone laughs at the same time and eye contact helps to enhance and stimulate the experience.

Soon simulated laughter leads to spontaneous outbursts. A car honks its horn at our crazy antics and we wave back. It’s all rather funny and very, very silly.

The group members say they’ve been filmed and photographed by curious onlookers hanging around the fringes of the park. Often the kids waiting for their sports games on the oval join in, whilst their parents hold back, like children with noses pressed up against a lolly shop window.

After about half an hour we finish up with an affirmation, the rain now falling in long gentle lashes.

And as I leave I’m feeling lighter and, yes, definitely happier. So much so that I burst out laughing when I step in dog poo on the way to the car.

This article was first published in CV Week, 12 August 2004

No comments: